Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Reforms or Revolution

Since diving into student council elections during high school, my interest in politics developed through my twenties and beyond. In university I joined the 'Young Liberals' and during that time I helped out with election campaigns for some Nova Scotia Provincial candidates. I later did the same thing for the Green Party of Canada for a federal election in Newfoundland, this a few years before throwing my hat into the ring and running as a Candidate for the Greens myself. That was during the 2006 election. These were some of my main experiences within the political establishment, ones that go beyond just voting in every provincial and federal elections since I was 18 that is, and not always for those parties listed above. I've voted for candidates in all spectrum's of political though so far in my life, refusing to fall into some blindly partisan trap.

Somewhere along the way however, I realized that the establishment is flawed, perhaps severely so. Not long after getting my feet wet in an actual election in '06 I became somewhat of an activist. I don't know if it was the infighting I had with the Greens over things like the seal hunt (them being anti and me being pro) or how unfair I saw things during the election (like not being invited to debates and events like other candidates were, much like GPC leader not being allowed in the national debate), but something certainly clicked in me after that election. I had my first realization that perhaps changing the world could not be done from the inside, which developed in the years following after obsessing over political, historical and societal information. The enlightenment period I was going through in those years wouldn't let me sit still, and I somehow began battling the system in my own small way. This led me to hitting the streets. It was something I did alone for quite a while, once a month for nearly a year at one period, handing out DVD's and information I thought to be important, engaging the public the best way I knew how. I also took part of several protests and demonstrations along the way as well, knowing that a democracy can only work with a fully engaged citizenry standing up for what they believe in. Well that, and I was extremely pissed off at how Government was treating its citizens... and I still am!

Before I go off on a tangent here, I'll get back to the point. I just wanted to try and express how I've lived on two sides of a political coin; one being within the system, and another trying to completely change the system. I think it's important for the world to realize that change does not have to happen within the confines of an establishment that has already been created. The entire establishment can be changed to suit the needs of the people. We must remember that.

Reform

Now that all the lead-up posts prior to and including this one are posted, it's about time I head into some actual reform topics that I wish to discuss. In the coming days, weeks and months, I'll be posting about some in depth solutions to problems I personally see (and I'm not alone) with our current political system and other social institutions. These items which I'll be presenting will range from election reform ideas to full on monetary and economic reforms, to anything in between. There are a tons of items found within our democratic society which we need to discuss, and much of it isn't even debated. We are given push button politics to chew on over and over again, but never any meaty subjects like full reform of existing structures. This is what I'll be attempting to tackle and I'm hoping that anybody out there who reads it takes the time to debate things through with me. I very much welcome it. Participatory democracy involves these types of conversations, as do grass roots movements, both being great aspects of any wonderful society. With these conversations we could potentially push candidates filled with new ideas into elections, giving the populous some real options for true change to choose from for the betterment of everyone.

Revolution

Should none of the reforms we collectively want come to pass through directly democratic actions within the system which has been set up for us, then the only option the population will have left is a revolution. Perhaps that's the only way at this point in fact, as the country and world are deeply dug into the current institutions. I'm hoping that maybe this blog of mine can be another part of the revolution evolution. The first stage of any revolution after all is education and the spreading of information. Perhaps with this little blog of mine, I can  help provide some new ways of thinking, or even possibly provide concrete solutions. If so, that in itself will be a revolution. It must begin with each individual mind after all, which in turn will hopefully lead to direct action and non violent dissent. Whatever path we choose to go on to make a better world for ourselves, we must always realize that people are the ones with power in this relationship. The system is only an illusion of power. The population, if united, cannot be defeated. Not ever. So, it's either the system brings reform to us... or we the people bring revolution to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment